BWCL S53 Update

GeckoVOD

Reaktionen
Dear Sirs, Madams, Ursadons and others,

as was announced in Discord earlier this month, the BWCL Season 53 had to be postponed due to a variety of reasons.

As all of us grow older our time becomes a precious resource, that needs to be managed carefully. It’s hard to come by active personnel to organize a league as big as BWCL is, at least if you want to provide a decent place to play that lives up to the expectations. In the past three years, ever since BWCL was rebooted, many of our administrators left, only few stayed and sailed the ship through the sea. After boosting this league from mere 14 Clans and two divisions to more than 30 teams in six divisions, ICCup.Face decided to retire. We wish him the best of luck for his future endeavours. Without him BWCL wouldn’t be nearly as big as it is now.

Also, our infrastructure needed some care. We needed to update the Google Drive system we used in the past to maintain the grid. Even though Face did supply us with a more than sound system, it didn’t transfer too well. We’re currently replacing some functions and testing the result.

Thankfully the majority of our staff is German, so we added wörk to the wörk, because wörk is life, or as the saying goes “Ein Lauf ist gut, zwei Einläufe beruhigen dann aber auch jeden”: We are also doing some rule updates and procedural updates.

Yet, there are also “good” news. After some hiatus broodwar.de parted from ingame after some years and now turned into broodwar.net - a forum for the German speaking brood war die hards. We’re planning on moving closer to our birth place in the future with distant plans of reactivating BWCL.de. Aehre dem Klan.
This is the reason why we’re going to publish big announcements here first. Keep an eye on this forum! (You’ll be linked in Discord either way)

EuaE2JKl.png

Anyway, we couldn’t do this without any of you playing in this league. Yet, we have to ask some more commitment: We desperately need admins. Apply to Cele (Cele#6194) in Discord (online during evenings CET) or write a short mail to bwclde[at]googlemail.com.

Following positions need to be filled:

League Admins

• Supervision of Play Days
    • Answering questions in Discord / B-net
    • Revision of Disc-Cases and other minor incidents during play days
    • Fixing Drive related issues during play days (“can’t edit grids”)
  • Post-processing play days
    • Checking Replay Uploads
    • Supervision of Postponements
    • Supervision of Rosters
    • Granting Walk Overs and reporting them to Google Drive
  • Needs to be present at least every third sunday

Content Admins

• Providing commentary / streaming replays of highlight matches
  • Write-Ups for coverage

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Asel

SCBW-Turniersieger 2019
Reaktionen
Klingt nice. Die alte BWCL Seite wäre natürlich ein feuchter Traum.

Reaktionen
It's been such a long time since I've been on those forums. Even was able to restore my old account. :) Looking forward to new BWCL season. Gogo BW!

Celetuiw

StarCraft: Brood War
Reaktionen
@Asel: wir haben grundsätzlich ein Angebot von nem community member der Lust hätte "uns eine HP zu bauen". Natürlich in völliger Unkenntnis der Tradition und der ruhmreichen aehrvollen Vergangenheit bwcl+bw.de

Zur zeit sind die Prios von uns aber ander gelagert, langfristig wärs aber cool.

@Quad Hihi :D

Reaktionen
Hallo zusammen, hab vor einiger Zeit in den BW generel auf TL geschrieben bzlg. einer neuen Page für die BWCL, bzw die Gründe hinterfragt warum es keine mehr gibt .. das haben sich scheinbar mehrere gefragt xD

Hab in dem thread leider keine Antwort bekommen, ob Interesse besteht.

Nichtsdestotrotz hab ich schonmal angefangen ^^

Ist das projekt von dem "community member" schon am laufen?

GeckoVOD

Reaktionen
@pinko kann das wahrscheinlich besser erklären, warum es keine gibt und welche Prioritäten der Verein aktuell verfolgt.

Kurzfassung: Durch das Ablösen von ingame muss hier einiges neu gemacht werden. Die alte Seite war so nicht mehr hostbar, weil die Technik nicht mehr zeitgemäß war.
Dieses Forum hier muss (soweit ich es verstehe) zunächst mal rechtlich abgesicht werden, da es nicht mehr eine reine Privatperson oder ein Unternehmen hostet. Danach sind mehr Wege offen.

Shihatsu

Administrator
Reaktionen
Shouldn't we stick to English? Just a question out of curiosity, not even a suggestion.
Regarding the old BWCL-page, for whom ever it may interest or concern:
BWCL (and later on SC2CL) were based on an old CMS/PHP-Engine/Script-Hybrid-Monstrosity which was explicitly written for broodwar.de/instarcraft.de. It was not maintained anymore since several years. We have the code, yes, but this code is old and basically unusable at this point. Furthermore, this is all done by volunteers in their free time, and the focus of the volunteers is - at least at the moment of writing this - 100% the forum. When everything is said and done regarding the forum we will - or will not - continue on with additional stuff. First priority will be something like a "mainpage" - broodwar.de content. Maybe even with the old content. For that we are talking months, not weeks. And after that is done we will have resources available for BWCL. That being said and done, there are of course much options for parallel tasks.
From my personal point of view I just love everything Broodwar related, and it is just astonishing that the BWCL is still alive and kicking. We will do everything we can to support the BWCL.

Reaktionen
Idea: A Google Spreadsheet setup could be easier and better than a website, esp. from access rights management and maintenance perspectives.

For example:
  • A form to apply for participation
  • A form to report results -- this can even include passwords for team captains so that no others can report results (a simple vlookup can check the reported result for validity in an "admin only" processing spreadsheet)
  • Processed, validated results feed into a "publicly viewable" sheet, in which the data is shown as visually pleasing tables
Happy to help with thinking this through / setup.

For everything else but reporting/processing/tables, a forum anyways seems superior.
Especially a good one like this that allows easy attachment of screesnhots and replays for discussion around games / matchups etc.

GeckoVOD

Reaktionen
thanks for input, you'll be hearing from me soon(ish)

Reaktionen
I don't understand how a google spreadsheet would be better than a website. The things you list can be automated easily on a homepage.

I am working quite alot on the page in the last few days and i can show something in a couple of days.
I think a centralized homepage will be a big upgrade for the audience and potential new teams.

I would like to automate pretty much everything. Seasons and schedule should run automaticly, with notifications / emails when the result is not being reported yet. The only thing you will do manually is upload the replay.

I will also build an inbox system, replays can be downloaded and you can filter trough the results of past seasons.

Oben